Skip to main content

Russian Court Weighs Pre-Election Knockout Blow to Kremlin Critic Navalny's Network


Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny takes part in a rally to mark the 5th anniversary of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov's murder and to protest against proposed amendments to the country's constitution, in Moscow, Russia February 29, 2020. REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov/File Photo


A Russian court on Wednesday began considering a request to declare organisations linked to jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny "extremist", a move that if approved would ban his allies from a parliamentary election later this year too.


The case, the latest chapter in a long-running crackdown on President Vladimir Putin's fiercest domestic opponent, could deliver a final hammer blow to a vast political network that Navalny built up over years to try to challenge the veteran Russian leader's grip on power.


The case is being brought by the office of Moscow's top prosecutor who has accused Navalny and his allies of trying to foment a revolution by seeking to destabilize the socio-political situation inside Russia with their activity.


The legal offensive mirrors ones waged in the past against far-right groups, Islamist organizations and the Jehovah's Witnesses which were declared "extremist" by courts and banned.


Navalny and his allies have denied the prosecutor's allegations, casting them as an attempt to try to crush their political opposition to the ruling United Russia party ahead of parliamentary elections in September, Reuters reported.


The staff of Ivan Pavlov, one of Navalny's lawyers, wrote on social media they expected the court to issue a verdict later on Wednesday.


The prosecutor's request, if approved by the court, would formally end the activity of a network of groups set up by Navalny, 45, who is serving a 2-1/2 year jail term for parole violations related to an embezzlement conviction he says was trumped up.


Specifically, it would target Navalny's Anti-Corruption Foundation which has produced high-profile investigations into alleged official corruption, and Navalny's regional campaign headquarters which have mobilized in the past to organize anti-Kremlin protests.


If Russia declares the foundation and regional groups extremist, the authorities would gain the formal power to jail activists and freeze their bank accounts. The case has already prompted Navalny's allies to disband the groups.


In the run-up to the hearing, Putin last week signed legislation that bars members of "extremist" organizations from running for office.


Given the court is widely expected to label Navalny's organizations extremist, the new legislation is seen as ending hopes by some Navalny allies to run for parliament later this year.


They say they will try to use a smart or tactical voting strategy instead to seek to undermine support for the pro-Kremlin ruling party, a strategy Kremlin sources have belittled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bitcoin could become a legal tender in El Salvador

  El Salvador President Nayib Bukele speaks during a news conference in San Salvador, El Salvador on June 6, 2021. (Reuters) El Salvador's President Nayib Bukele said that he will send a bill to Congress next week to make bitcoin legal tender in the Central American nation, touting its potential to help Salvadorans living abroad send remittances home. El Salvador President Nayib Bukele has announced in a recorded message played at a Bitcoin conference in Miami that next week he will send proposed legislation to the country's congress that would make the cryptocurrency legal tender in the Central American nation. The 39-year-old president, who has maintained approval ratings above 90% and made Twitter his preferred way of communicating, characterised it as an idea that could help El Salvador move forward. “Next week I will send to Congress a bill that will make Bitcoin a legal tender in El Salvador," Bukele said. “In the short term this will generate jobs and help provide f...

UN court upholds life sentence for 'Butcher of Bosnia' Mladic

  The verdict by five judges at the UN International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals is final and cannot be appealed any further. Former Bosnian Serb military leader Ratko Mladic stands prior to the pronouncement of his appeal judgement at the UN tribunal in The Hague on June 8, 2021. (Reuters) The UN court has upheld genocide and war crimes convictions of former Bosnian Serb military chief Ratko Mladic for the 1995 Srebrenica massacre and dismissed his appeal. UN judges in The Hague ruled on Tuesday on an appeal by the so-called "Butcher of Bosnia" against his 2017 conviction and life sentence for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity during the 1992-95 Bosnia war. The verdict by five judges at the UN International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals – which deals with cases from the now-closed Yugoslavia war crimes tribunal – is final and cannot be appealed any further.

Some major anti-Islam incidents in Canada everyone should know about

  A Pakistani-Canadian family recently fell victim to another hate crime against Muslims in Canada. Here is a list of some historic attacks against the country’s largely peaceful Muslim community. Five members of a Muslim family became  the latest target of anti-Islam attacks  in Canada. The hate crime claimed the lives of four family members and critically wounded a child.  The 20-year-old Canadian attacker, Nathaniel Veltman, ran over the family with his pick-up truck in London, Ontario on Monday.  Canadian authorities defined the incident as a “horrific act of Islamophobia.”   While Canada presents itself as one of the most liberal states under its Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, anti-Islam hate crimes continue to be a threat to both communal peace and Muslim lives in the North American country.  Canadian legal authorities, like most Western countries, do not define anti-Islam attacks as terrorist acts despite calling incidents by radical armed group...